A record number of Irish seafood companies will participate at Seafood Expo Global, the world’s largest seafood trade fair, taking place in Brussels this week (May 6th – 8th). Bord Bia is coordinating the presence of some 21 companies who will showcase their produce to over 25,000 influential buyers and sellers from over 145 countries around the world. The Irish exhibitors represent the full spectrum of species available from Ireland including shellfish, whitefish, pelagic and finfish in a range of formats including live, chilled, canned, frozen and smoked.
In 2013, Irish seafood exports to over 80 markets worldwide were valued at €493 million, an increase of over 30% since 2010. An estimated 65% of Irish seafood exports are sold in EU markets, with France being the main market followed by UK and Spain. Markets outside of the EU are also of vital importance, most notably for Ireland’s pelagic fleet which fishes mainly mackerel, herring, blue whiting and boarfish. According to Bord Bia, Nigeria, Cameroon, Russia and China are among the main markets for these species. Last year, exports to Asian markets reached €38 million representing a value increase of 41% on the previous year.
Speaking ahead of the event Aidan Cotter, Chief Executive, Bord Bia commented “It is encouraging to see such a strong Irish presence at the Seafood Expo Global, as international trade events remain a critical business development platform for Irish exporters. The Expo provides an opportunity for Irish companies to identify new customers, meet existing clients, launch new products, learn more about emerging trends and broaden their export reach into new markets. Ireland’s seafood exports to international markets were valued at €156 million last year, an increase of 5% on the 2012 figures."
Bord Bia’s coordinated pavilion at Seafood Expo Global is a key element of its annual seafood programme which is focused on developing new market opportunities for the Irish seafood sector. The programme includes an Irish presence at a number of key seafood trade shows throughout the year including Conxemar in Spain, Biofach in Germany and the Chinese Fisheries Show in Qingdao.
Representing Ireland under Bord Bia’s Origin Green stand at Seafood Expo Global 2014:
- Atlanfish (www.atlanfish.com)
- Connemara Seafoods (www.connemaraseafoods.com)
- Emerald Mussels (http://en.krijnverwijs.com)
- Errigal Seafood (www.errigalfish.com )
- Gallagher Bros (Fish Merchants) (www.gallagherbros.ie )
- Good Fish Processing (www.goodfish.ie)
- Irish Fish Canners (www.irishfishcanners.ie)
- Irish Seafood Producers Group (ISPG) ( www.ispg.ie )
- Kenmare Select (www.kenmare-select.com )
- Kilmore Seafood (www.cki.ie)
- Killybegs Seafoods (www.killybegsseafoods.com )
- Keohane Seafood (www.keohaneseafoods.ie
- Kush Shellfish (www.kush.ie )
- O Cathain Iasc (www.irishfishproducts.com )
- Norfish Ltd ( www.norfishltd.com )
- Premier Fish Products (www.premierfish.ie)
- Rockabill Shellfish (www.rockabill.ie)
- Sean Ward Fish Exports (www.wardfish.com )
- Shellfish de la Mer (www.shellfishireland.com )
- Sofrimar (www.sofrimar.ie )
- The Irish Organic Salmon Company (www.theorganicsalmoncompany.com )
Source: MCG Bureau
Published: 7th May 2015