The Marine Institute have recently upgraded and re-released Ireland’s Marine Atlas to http://atlas.marine.ie . Users can search for layers via the themes and sub-themes or a keyword search via the search option.
Ireland’s Marine Atlas is developed and maintained by the Marine Institute with funding by the Department of Environment, Community and Local Government.
The Atlas provides a one-stop-shop to view and download marine environmental data relevant to reporting under Ireland’s Marine Strategy Framework Directive (MSFD). The aim of the European Union’s MSFD directive is to protect more effectively the marine environment across Europe through the establishment of “good marine waters”. Data in Ireland’s Marine Atlas has been guided by the European Directive on harmonising environmental data across Europe within a spatial data infrastructure known as INSPIRE. INSPIRE Data Specifications (Data Models) have been used to manage and attribute data to the categories visible under THEMES in the atlas.
Open access data has been sourced from the following organisations for inclusion in the atlas:
- Central Statistics Office
- MaREI (University College Cork)
- Commissioners of Irish Lights
- Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine
- Department of Communications, Energy and Natural Resources
- Department of Environment, Community and Local Government
- Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport
- Environmental Protection Agency
- European Environment Agency
- Flanders Marine Institute (VLIZ)
- Geological Survey Ireland (Department of Communications, Energy and Natural Resources)
- International Council Exploration of the Seas (ICES)
- Irish Naval Service
- Marine Institute
- National Biodiversity Data Centre
- National Parks and Wildlife Service (Department of Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht)
- Ordnance Survey Ireland
- OSPAR Commission
- Petroleum Affairs Division (Department of Communications, Energy and Natural Resources)
- Sustainable Energy Authority Ireland (Department of Communications, Energy and Natural Resources)
Before relying on the information on this site, users should carefully evaluate its accuracy, currency, completeness and relevance for their purposes. The site and data are provided on an 'as is', 'as available' and the Marine Institute or the Data Providers listed above cannot guarantee and assumes no legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, timeliness, completeness, performance or fitness for a particular purpose of the site or any content, or the usefulness of any information or product. The user acknowledges and accepts the limitations of the data, including the fact that the data is dynamic and is in constant state of maintenance, correction and upgrade.
For each layer in the atlas ISO 19139 metadata following the guidelines of the INSPIRE Directive metadata Implementing Rules is provided. Links to metadata are sourced from the Irish Spatial Data Exchange.